By: Laura-Jane Hatcher (WRGA News)
An Armuchee man has died in an area hospital after receiving a venomous snake bite in his own home.
On Monday, 80-year-old Ernest Burch arrived at a local hospital after he was bitten by a rattlesnake at his Gazelle Dew Rd. home. According to Deputy Coroner Ernie Studard, the man passed away in the ICU Tuesday night, the snakebite contributing to his death.
Though it’s estimated over 100,000 people in the world die from snake bites every year, it’s relatively rare in the U.S. According to numbers compiled by the University of Florida, there are approximately 6 snake-bite-related fatalities in the U.S. each year, which is surprisingly a smaller number than people who die from dog attacks every year.