AM 1470 WRGA Rome's News Talk Listen LIve
 
 

 

Fatal Cedartown fire ruled accidental

January 13, 2018--8:49 a.m.

NEWS RELEASE

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said an investigation by his office into a fire that killed a Polk County woman on Sunday, Jan. 7 has been ruled accidental.

Shirley Richards, 69, died in the fire at 122 Herbert Street, Cedartown, Ga. Fire Investigators determined that flammable materials placed too close to a natural gas heater in the kitchen started the blaze, said Commissioner Hudgens.

No evidence of a smoke alarm was found in the home, but fire investigator did discover several vintage heat alarms on the second floor. The fire was reported around 9:49 p.m.